Feel like you travelled back in time – the Opal Fields resemble how Lightning Ridge once was. Unsealed roads and rough dirt tracks, opal mining claims and machinery, miners camps, mullock heaps and amongst all this three truly unique Outback bush pubs.
Hear colourful stories and entertaining history about the area and learn how and where Australia’s National Gemstone is ethically mined.
- Devonshire Morning Tea and lunch included in price
- Full Day to Grawin, Glengarry, & Sheepyard Opal Fields (70 km from Lightning Ridge).
- Pickup/drop-off from your accommodation in an air-conditioned bus.
- Visit all 3 bush pubs – Sheepyard Inn, Glengarry Hilton, and the Club in the Scrub with its unique golf course.
- Devonshire morning tea (coffee/assorted tea/GF available).
- Lunch from the Hilton Tucker van (GF/V available) – drinks at own expense.
- Try your luck fossicking with the guidance of our local and knowledgeable guide.
- Give your car a rest and let us take you around the dirt roads on the Opal Fields.
- Get inside about life as an opal miner, see camps, and learn how this remote community live on the opal fields off-grid.
- Mingle with locals at the pubs and chat to our opal miners while quenching your thirst.
- Visit the Sheepyard & Community War Memorial and museum at Lake Beard – it’s a little gem.
- Unique and quirky photo opportunities – lots of outback humour waiting to be captured.
What to bring
- Appropriate shoes to walk on rough ground and to go fossicking.
- Water bottle, fly net, insect (fly) repellent, sunscreen, and sunhat – optional.