Discover the town and surrounding opal fields on our daily TOWN TOUR. Get a taste of how our miners feel underground, see how we cut and polish precious opals and hear how it all started here at Lightning Ridge.
This tours is great for everyone who
wants a quick overall view of the highlights of the town, discover hidden gems, and learn about our world-famous precious opals. Please sit back, relax, and let us show you around the HOME OF BLACK OPAL.
- Entry fees for Walk-In Mine (Opal Mine Adventure) included in price
- 3.5-hour tour around Lightning Ridge with a knowledgeable local tour guide.
- Guided underground tour at Walk-In Mine (former working mine with easy access).
- Famous landmark Amigos Castle – built by one man out of ironstone.
- Morning/afternoon tea (coffee/assorted tea/biscuits).
- Opal cutting demonstration by an award-winning opal cutter and opal carver.
- Pickup/drop-off from your accommodation in town in an air-conditioned bus.
- Hear entertaining commentary, colourful stories, and an opal explanation.
- Opportunities to purchase an array of local opals, jewellery, and souvenirs.
- Travel past heritage miner camps such as Fred Bodel’s and Gemseekers Paradise.
- Visit Lunatic Hill (biggest open cut around here) and scenic 3-Mile Opal Fields.
- Explore the dirt roads around town to see how we live.
- We will take you past Bore Bath, John Murrays Gallery, Bottle House, and more.
What to bring
- Enclosed shoes to go underground (this is a Mines Department requirement)
- Water bottle, fly net, insect (fly) repellent, sunscreen, and sunhat (in the warmer months) – optional.